Next Generation: Producing Performing Arts 2018
for young producers in the contemporary performing arts
by The Japan Foundation Asia Center
Call for Applications
The Japan Foundation Asia Center calls for entries for Next Generation: Producing Performing Arts for the fiscal year 2018. We very much look forward to entries of emerging producers, presenters, dramaturgs etc. from ASEAN countries and Japan.
I. Program outline
Next Generation: Producing Performing Arts is a program for young generation, who work with artists and connect them as wells their works with audience and society in the field of contemporary performing arts in ASEAN countries and Japan. In other words they are emerging producers, programmers, presenters, curators, dramaturgs and critics. This program makes it possible for them to see many different remarkable artistic works in and from Asia, meet local key persons, get to know what’s going on inside and outside Asia, understand various local contexts, get into professional, transnational networks and create own working relationship for near future. Through this program we wish to support the whole scenes of contemporary performing arts in Asia and connect them globally. A group of max. 10 participants will visit three festivals of contemporary performing arts, one in ASEAN countries, one outside Asia and one in Japan. At the third place to visit participants are expected to present their ideas and thoughts in any forms.
This program is organized by the Japan Foundation Asia Center in Tokyo in cooperation with its offices in ASEAN countries and Australia, as well as the international platforms to be visited.
3. Qualification/requirements for Participants
a. Young producers, programmers, presenters, curators, dramaturgs and critics, working with commitment in the contemporary performing arts field with at least some assisting experiences, based in one of ASEAN countries (Southeast Asia) or Japan
b. those who are open-minded and highly motivated to be confronted with something unfamiliar and experimental as well as interested in transnational collaboration
c. those who are capable to find or define their challenges by themselves
d. those who can participate throughout the whole process of the Program
e. those who can communicate about their activities and visions in English
– This program is not conceived for established professionals
– The number of participants will not exceed 10. At least one out of ten seats is reserved for a participant from Japan.
4. Schedule of the program as of June 2018
Schedules and dates are as below and still subject to change slightly:
1. Liveworks, Sydney; October 18 – 26, 2018
2. Indonesian Dance Festival (IDF), fieldwork in Solo and Yogyakarta; November 5 – 13,
3. TPAM (Performing Arts Meeting in Yokohama) 2019; February 8 – 19, 2019
5. Contents of the Program
– The program consists of three trips with the same group to three different platforms.
– Each trip is programmed through visiting performances, meetings with artists and professionals, as well as discussions within group including orientation and feed-back meetings.
– In the third trip there will be an opportunity, as mentioned above, to present or share any ideas or thoughts of the participants with audience.
– The language used in the program will be English.
– In each trip one person from each local scene will attend the group.
The Japan Foundation Asia Center provides participants with
1) international roundtrip air ticket of discount economy class between participant’s residential city and the city of platforms to visit,.
2) travel insurance,
4) per diem and
5) tickets of shows to visit
for the duration of the program.
*Please note: participants are requested to cover travel expenses between their residence and nearest airports as well as any fees unrelated to the program by themselves.
1. How to apply:
– Please submit required documents as below per email to your nearest Japan Foundation office.
a. Completed application form provided (Excel file)
b. Your CV (Word or PDF file)
c. Your portrait photo (Image file)
– Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please set the email subject as [Application for Next Generation 2018 / your name].
– DEADLINE: Sunday, 22, July, 2018
2. Selection of Applicants
Participants will be selected by the Japan Foundation Asia Center in Tokyo. Successful applicants will be informed by email by early August, 2018
■For any inquiries, please contact
Ms. Siree Riewpaiboon
The Japan Foundation, Bangkok
02-260-8560-4 (10.00 – 17.00 hrs)